Monday, September 24, 2012

Healthy Lactose Free Ice Cream

A few months ago, I made a horrifying discovery...I am lactose intolerant.  This discovery was so horrifying because I very much enjoy cheesified dishes, but the true horror was in the fact that I could no longer eat ice cream.  Delicious, cold, sweet, smooth, melt in your mouth, heavenly, best dessert in the world ice cream. 

Fortunately I discovered "dairy digestive aid" pills which allow me the occassional lactose-full indulgense.  You can bet that anytime I have some delicious recipe posted that has a trace of dairy that I popped one of those little life saving pills in my mouth along with my first yummy bite. 

As wonderful as ice cream is, and it truly is, its one flaw (yes...even ice cream has a flaw) is its rather high fat and calorie count.  This flaw, before the realization of my lactose intolerance, was the only thing keeping me from eating ice cream by the gallon.
I suppose my affliction can be seen as a blessing in disguise as it led me to discover this amazingness...

Healthy Lactose Free Ice Cream
 
 
1 frozen banana (cut into chunks)
2 tsp cocoa powder
 
 
*Useful Tip:  I wait until my bananas are super duper ripe, then I tear them into chunks,  put them inside little snack sized plastic bags, and stick them in the freezer to await further use.  It is super convenient because I can just grab one of the bags out anytime I need banana for a recipe!  If the recipe I am making does not require a frozen banana, it does not take very long for them to thaw out.  
 
 
Yes, it is that easy and beyond scrumptious!  My tastebuds compare it to a dark chocolate frosty (with just the tiniest hint of banana).  And if THAT wasn't good enough all on it's own...it is exceptionally low in calories!  The entire recipe listed above only amounts to 110 calories!  Trust me...it does NOT taste like it only has 110 calories!!!  Maybe I can truly eat ice cream by the gallon...
 
May the odds be ever in your flavor! 

 

1 comment: